Please be patient as this page is still being edited! (12/30/19)
2009: Pumping plant scheduled to be operational for irrigation season. Dam removal to begin in September.
2008: $3 million approved by Congress for FY 2009.
2007: $14.76 million approved by Congress for FY 2008.
2006: $13 million approved by Congress. Contract to remove dam is awarded. September: Preconstruction Conference. Work begins on project.
2006 budget. National Fish & Wildlife Foundation, Waterwatch and GPID secure $65,000 from non-profitand private foundation support for project.
2005: Bureau awards contract for Pump installation and removal of Savage Rapids Dam. Federal Government supports an additional $1.5 Million for FY.
2004: $2.2 million within President’s budget approved by Congress for 2005.
2003: $250,000 Congressional appropriation for Bureau’s design process. December: Public law passes Congress authorizing project (P.L. 108-137). $2 million within President’s budget requested by administration approved.
2002: Oregon Water Enhancement Board awards GPID $3 million for dam removal. State Fish Screening Grant of $100,000 to Bureau of Reclamation to begin planning and design process. $500,000 appropriated through Congress to continue the Bureau’s design process.
2001: All parties (Federal, State and environmental groups) agree to hold case in abeyance until September 1st in order to give parties time to move Federal legislation forward to fund dam removal and pump station installation. On July 24th, the Board of Directors approved an agreement to end the lawsuits and remove the dam. Senator Gordon Smith and Ron Wyden introduce federal legislation: The Savage Rapids Dam Act.
2000: District-wide vote: overwhelming patron support for dam removal (63%). Oregon Court of Appeals dismisses case. GPID petitions the Oregon Supreme Court.
1998: OWRD cancels the temporary water right claiming lack of due diligence. GPID appeals the decision to the Oregon Court of Appeals.
1994: The study lasted four years and recommended options to reduce water diversions down to 149 cfs. Board of Directors adopts the plan for an additional supplement water right of 52 cfs in exchange for replacement of Savage Rapids Dam for electrical pumps. With the support of the State of Oregon and conservation groups around the country, the OWRD extended the temporary permit as long as GPID showed due diligence in its efforts to remove the dam.
1990: OWRD issues a temporary permit to continue historic diversion while GPID studied options presented by Dave Newton and Associates.
1982: The OWRD issued a water right certificate for 7,700 acres in the amount of 96.7 cfs. GPID’s normal water usage over the years had been between 180 cfs to 210 cfs.
1977: The Oregon Water Resources Department (OWRD) began the certification process of GPID’s water right.
1947: Water users enjoyed the fruits of their labor by being assured a dependable and adequate water supply for over 30 years. However, over the years the normal wear and deterioration coupled with the ravages of floods, resulted in a need for major replacement or rehabilitation of certain key structures. The District entered into a $100,000 contract with the United States at no interest in December 1949 for the reconstruction by the Bureau of Reclamation of the pipeline crossing the Rogue River, known as the Northwest Unit pipeline. A second contract included other major items of construction, rehab or repair included the Savage Rapids Dam. Total cost was $668,800.
1922: Completion of the project.
1921: Dedication ceremonies of the Savage Rapids Dam and the other project works were held on November 5, 1921. An immense crowd enjoyed the colorful ceremonies and speeches. All rejoiced over the culmination of their cooperative efforts, which had brought to realization their dreams for a stable water supply to the farm lands. After the completion of all the ditch structures, a ‘test run’ of the pumps and the turbines occurred on December 7, 1921, and water was turned into the newly completed main ditches. Upon completion in 1922, there were 19,532 acres within the project, of which 12,815 were classed as irrigable.
1920: On February 25, 1920, the Board of Directors entered into a contract with a Los Angeles company for the construction of the pumping plant and laterals. Concrete placement was started on Savage Rapids Dam on October 19, 1920.
1917: An election was held January 17, 1917. The Josephine County Court canvasses the votes and found that the majority of landowners in the proposed district boundaries voted 41 to 5 ‘Irrigation District – Yes’, whereby GPID was organized as a municipal corporation under the laws of the State of Oregon. Bond raised funds to install a temporary pumping plant to supply water to various areas. GPID applied for and was granted a water right permit to irrigate 18,000 acres.
1915: Agitation for an organized irrigation district begins. Grants Pass Irrigation District (GPID) was organized on December 9, 1916.
1906: Through a cooperative effort, irrigation canals were constructed along both sides of the Rogue River with the expectation of obtaining water by pumping from a dam. After operating a short time, the pumps were lost in the river. The source of water failed.